Re: Accessing computer through Internet

> Thank you very much for your quick answer.  Does it need a permanent IP
> address, Temporary IP address or the FTP program automatically find
> itself?  If temporary IP address is enough how do I get my IP number from
> VSNL server?  Also how does the client access me?. What will be my host and
> my address?
> Best regards
> Anil.

Although I don't have a direct access to net ( basically access net thru a
dedicated internet terminal.. and that thru a firewall.. but I prefer ACCMAIL
method to access net! Any ACCMAILers on the list?) so I have never tried all
these PPP setup.. so I may be wrong in answering your question.. and there are
many people on the list who knows much much better than me..
anyway AFAIK..
after setting up the PPP connection.. run /sbin/ifconfig ppp0. Your temporary ip
addr will be listed in the inet addr field for the ppp0 interface. So you know
your dynamic address.. But the FTP daemon is not aware of this temporary addr..
so you have to edit some config files like /etc/hosts and restart the inetd
daemon by running the rc script. Please correct me if I'm wrong (after all I am
a mainframe programmer). After this inform your client the temp id addr (you
should be connected to the net) and the user id and passwd for your server (it's
not needed if you use anonymous ftp server). Your client can use any standard
ftp client or the browser itself (url would be ftp://username@your_ip_addr )to
download the reqd files.

Kousik
http://netjunk.com/users/kousik