GPL for documents

I wrote the Lynx on Linux console document and I want to copyright it
under the GPL.  First off, is it possible for the GPL (or the related
Library GPL) to cover a document?

If not (and I suspect it isn't), what would be a good way to give
equivalent copyrights to the document?  One possibility is the HOWTO
copyright, which appears in most HOWTO's (see the WRITING-HOWTO for
details).  There's also the LDP Copyright at
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/COPYRIGHT.html, though that seems a bit
more restrictive.

Maybe I should just rip off the HOWTO copyright and use it -- it looks
comprehensive enough.

Regards,

- -- Raju