modem settings

Hi,

I am having a RH 5.1 dialin UUCP server. Most of the times, it works fine,
but sometimes it gives trouble saying "no carrier" Once it starts giving
trouble, it stays so for 2 to 3 days, then gets back to normal on its own.
During that time no one will be able to logon to the server. So, some one
kindly suggest me the optimum modem settings. I am using Multi tech 1932ZDX
modem.

Thanks in advance

Sunil Sarat