Re: [Q] OT Installing FreeBSD on a headless machine...

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 03:34:27PM -0700, Sudhakar Chandrasekharan wrote:
> I am planning on running FreeBSD on this machine.  I have a few questions:
>
> 1. I have PacBell's Extended DSL (5 static IPs).  I want both my current
> Debian box and the soon to be bought FreeBSD to be reachable from the open
> internet.  What kind of expandable ethernet hub would you folks recommend?
> I was thinking of hooking up the hub to the PacBell DSL line and hooking
> up the Debian and FreeBSD boxen to the hub.  Would I have any problems with
> this?

I don't know enough about DSL - but watch out for the network traffic on the
DSL side affecting the local network performance. I had a busy router, machine
A and machine B connected to an eth hub at my workplace and if I remove
the router connection, the network throughput between A and B would increase
10 fold.

> 2. The headless box would not have a keyboard, floppy disk drive, CDROM
> drive or monitor.  Is it possible to use that machine's serial port to
> install FreeBSD on it from my Debian box?  Any pointers on info on serial
> installation?

The closest that I could come to is:

http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ80.html#80

You may need to create custom boot floppies.

	-Arun