Re: PIII patch

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 03:31:26PM -0500, Prakash Sastry wrote:
> hello ,
> i have a PIII running 2.2.10 and 2.2.5.15 kernel version. Earlier the  P3
> SIMD instruction were not enabled and we enabled it with a
> patch available. After compiling the kernel with this support, i found
> that the sound and the netwrk support were not enabled. when i tried
> insmod for the tuplip card(for sound i did sndconfig which told me that no
> modules were available) , it gave me an error saying the kernel was
> compiled with 2.2.10 and hence the module support was not available. I
> once compiled the kernel image with 2.2.5.15 with P3 support but the error
> still persists.

If you're not using PIII programs which use SIMD (or SSE - Intel officialese)
just stick with 2.2.5.15. But if you absolutely must use the PIII instructions,
then you should get the patch and recompile 2.2.10 and enable all hardware
support you need (try make xconfig). Then do make modules; make modules_install

Look at the kernel README file for more on kernel compilation.

	-Arun