Dates in Linux

Hi there!
I've an interesting situation:
Just recently I've discovered that my Linux box at home(RH5.2) is
keeping its internal date in the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)! although it
formats it correctly and shows me IST when I use the DATE command at the
bash prompt.
When I dial using X-ISP (which I've been using for about 9 months now)
it used to always show me GMT and I used to wonder why X-isp is doing
this?!
I've just been playing around with Javascripts and I discover that my
scripts always display current time about 5 1/2 hrs backword; in other
words GMT! instead of IST.Shucks.
Anybody tell me what I can do to 'correct' this 'problem'?
TIA.

RKA