Network cards don't see each other

HI all !

	I've connected two computers with Realtek ethernet cards. The problem is that they just don't see
each other. In linux I find that the cards can't ping each other or do anything at all !!

	The cable is working fine (it is BNC coax) and I've noticed that the 'link' light on one card
doesn't come on at all. The other has an 'act' light which comes on when I try doing some diagns on it
using the prog on the disk which came with the card.

	In fact when it's running the diags, it reports errors for the 'cable connection' test.

 	Both cards have been configured to : 10 base t , tp/cx auto detect. What do 10 base t 10 base 2 10 base 5 all mean ?

	Somebody please tell me what's going on !!

Ravi
Chennai