Re: Ridiculous VSNL charges

Mrs N P Salaria wrote:

> Hello Linux Gurus,
> Well for a start I know someone will point out that this is
> not the right forum for such a mail, I too after an after thought
> still decided to send it since the forum may not be right
> but the people I am addressing are right , linux-India.
> History :
> We are a small company ( 40 people) with restricted internet usage.
> We have an ISDN dialup account - VSNL - 500 hours  - 128KBPS -
> Requirement :
> We require a static IP address as we are planning to start using VPN
> Help:
> Solutions to my problem.
> VSNL Response:
> I spoke to the vsnl people , for a dedicated dial up ISDN line
> 500 hours 128KBPS , if we want a static IP address we have to pay the
> charges for dedicated dial up ie 1,28,000/- per annnum + 20,000/- for
> static IP address .

At present there is no solution to monopoly of vsnl. But your problem
has a nice work around.
There is a site named ml.org (now there may be many) which has a
solution to your problem. Go to this site register your name. You will
get a domain name as abc.ml.org. Now when you are connected to net and
have an ip address ( may be dynamic) execute a small script (again
available on this site including for linux) and your current ip address
is associated with abc.ml.org and this becomes valid domain name with
your ip address. Any one clicking this url will land up on your machine.
This i have tested about 6-8 months and do not know present status. But
I feel it should work now also. And yes ml.org is absolutely free.

- -mukund