problem with gnome

hi everyone
this is for the second time that i have reinstalled linux after desperately
trying to configure gnome properly.
the prob is that everytime i log in(Redhat 6.0 <Chip-CD> through xwindows)
the gnome start up screen popups and altleast after 15 seconds the screen
"starting enlightenment" comes up and after 100 % mark
the system hangs .unless i use ctrl+alt+backspace and reboot enlightnment
starts working properly.also a new file core is placed on the desktop and my
root directory.
could you please also tell me how can i change my default window manager
to the required say KDE
thanx
rohit