Re: PPP Connection using Null modem

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, CHANDRIKA H V wrote:

> Hi there,
>
>   We have two linux boxes, X and Y. They are connected to each other over
> the parallel n/w as IPs IP-X and IP-Y. We want to connect them using PPP
> via NULL modem cable.
>
> 1. What are the scripts that should be run and in what order?

This should be quiet simple (if you know what you are doing). First use
minicom to check that characters you type are actually communicated over
the link. NOTE that you cannot get any further until this works. Once this
works allocate both sides of the cable an IP on the same subnet (should be
different from the ethernet subnet) eg 10.1.5.1 and 10.1.5.2. Then run

pppd <serial port> <speed> 10.1.5.1:10.1.5.2

and the other side before the first pppd gives up:

pppd <serial port> <speed>

where speed is equal on both sides and is the bps of the link and serial
port is the device file that has the serial port eg /dev/ttyS2 for COM3.
This should work iff things are working properly :)

> 2. How do we verify that our computer is fit for a PPP connection?

Simple: If the serial ports are 16650A's (reported at boot up) you should
be safe to use speeds of at least 115200. If they are anything else, It is
probably unwise to use anything more than 9600 bps.

> 3. Can we use IP-X and IP-Y on both the ethernet and serial interfaces
> simultaneuosly?

Yes, the interface used will be determined by the destination IP.

> We need to specify the source and Destination IP addresses. Thus the qstn
> three.

See above (question 1)

Beau Kuiper
ekuiperba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx