Re: removing the core file...

Gaurav Bhatnagar forced the electrons to say:
> Hi all
> I would like to make some additons to my .bashrc file to ensure that
> everytime i login if any core file exists in my home directory then it gets
> deleted by itself. I cud have simply added
> "rm core" but then when a core doesnt exist it will give an unnecssary
> error!

To remove existing core files, starting from your home, try the following line:

find $HOME -name core -exec rm -f {} \;

To prevent any new core file, add the line

ulimit -c 0

in your .bashrc file.

BTW, the core files are _very_ useful in debugging if you are a serious
programmer.

> One more question, if i am working in Xwindows and i have no xterm , rxvt
> etc opened then if somebody sends me a talk request what happens to it..i
> mean do I come to know of the request?

If you manually started X (via startx or xinit) and did not log out of the
console window, the message will appear there. If you are in runlevel 5 or if
you logged out of the console as well, then the talk message is lost - talkd
will just assume you are not logged in.

Binand

- --
main(int c,char **v){while(!fork()){strcpy(v[0],tmpnam(0));sleep(1);}}
A program that changes its name and pid every second.
Try this program at your own risk!   ---> Binand <---