Re: The Ultimate Coup!

Hello!

> 2) A Linux installer - for Windows compatible PCs. Much of the complexity in
> installing  Linux comes due to wide choices made available to user.
> Whereas - Windows makes most of the decision by itself. Average user are not
> interested in the details of PC - he uses it as a tool.

well, the good thing about Unix in general and Linux in particular is that
it *gives* you the choice. Getting rid of the choice is going the windows
way. The installation should be simple enough, but not too simplistic. I
think SuSE's yast has achieved the right compromise.

> > ***Works on all windows platforms
> > ***Detects hardware and hardware settings
> > ***Suggests Installation and/or Setup procedures or routines
> > ***Provides information on where to get the software, tools and utilities
> > and applications.

Doesn't SuSE's yast do *all* this? Not to undermine your project. It is
indeed very noble. :) (I meant that, now!) But you may want to take a look
at the available choices and try to improve upon them than reinvent the
wheel.

> > I think maybe a wizard like approach would be suitable. What do you think?

No! please don't! It takes all the fun out of Linux and the 10 million
LInux users like me would run away from it. You will end up loading it
with all the ease of installation in return for a huge software bundle.
I should be able to choose my modules and drivers and unlike windows,
where everything is stuffed into your hd like it or not, I should be able
to choose how big my system should be.

Now isn't that what you liked about Linux in the first place? Why kill
that advantage? :)

> >Volunteers?

Why not? Provided you are going to make it another Windows! :)

Best regards,
- -- nd.
Sujatha Natraj					(year2/sem4)
SMTP						eng71667@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
						sujathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
PSTN						256 8660 (residence)
HTTP					http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~sujathan

Definition of the day:-
DESTINY :  A tyrant's authority for crime and a fool's excuse for failure