SIS 6326 AGP Support works even with Xfree 3.3.2 !! YES !!

Hi

For all those of you who are troubled with trying to get the SIS 6326
running, on an old Xfree 3.3.2 release, here are some tips ( BTW goto the
SUSE site www.suse.de - it is there in english also and they have a very
good database for Linux problems, use the search functionality for the site)

In case your problem is that you do not get the resolutions you need, or you
do not see your card name in the big list of cards when you run xf86config
 about 400 of them), then here is a hack, obviously you have to have
XFCOM_SiS server with you ( was ther with one of the PCQ cds as pointed out
by Karthik - thanks I fortunately dound my old notes to force xf86config to
have my card placed in the cards list. )

Assuming all the above is fine, do the following

a) Edit  /usr/X11/lib/X11/Cards to add the following lines near the other
SiS cards ( approx. line 2198 )

####  ADD THIS BELOW vvvvvvvvvv ##########
NAME SiS 6326
CHIPSET SIS6326
SERVER XFCom_SiS
NOCLOCKPROBE

b) Run xf86config and viola you will find your card there :-), but wait
after you select it and set the correct stuff for your mouse and other
monitor related stuff ( use your own settings after consulting the monitor
manual for horz and vert freq. )

c) towards the end when asked which server use the option which says
XFCOM_SiS ONLY !!

d) After making all the required links etc. ( which is done automatically by
xf86config)  edit the /etc/XF* file to add the following lines in the device
section

    Option "sw_cursor"
    Option "pci_burst_on"
    Option "no_bitblt"
    Option "fast_vram"
    VideoRam    4096

and it should look like this

# Device configured by xf86config:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "SiS 6326"
    VendorName  "sis"
    BoardName   "6326"
    Option "sw_cursor"
    Option "pci_burst_on"
    Option "no_bitblt"
    Option "fast_vram"
    VideoRam    4096
EndSection

NOTE:  DO NOT USE MORE THAN 4 MB of RAM it DOES NOT WORK AND is a known bug
with this server ( see Suse Site)

e) after doing the above run startx... if this does not work on your system
let me know I will try and help

Thanks to Karthik for telling me that the SiS 6326 is supported on the
XFCOM_SiS and to SUSE site for the additional help on the subject.

Happy 'uxing
Cheers
Vishal