Re: 1 small news...

On 17 July 1999 06:42 ChenthilWhelan <chenthil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
has proudly declared:
> Hi guys... I have completly switched from M$ Windoze to Linux today.... I
use
> my redhatlinux 6.0 for my browsing, e-mails, entertainment, studies and
> everything. Though this is not going to help u guys in any way i just
wanted
> myself to declare my happyness. But to be truthful i did strugle a bit for
> these configurations. Thanx to one and all for helping me...

Congratulation!!!

Not so much for successful configuration of Linux but more for taking the
bold decision of scrapping Windows altogether. Not many of us has the guts -
atleast not me.

Having only one O/S does reduce a lot of confusion from your mind. It also
keeps your disk free from useless softwares.

But then what about the games, enclycopedia and so many other nice goodies
that are written on WIndows platform? Are U not closing yourself from those
?

Frankly I do not understand the logic of all the negative feeling about M$.
Let me tell U, I have no special affinity with M$ but then let us face
history -

IBM made PC - It was a open hardware and made possible creation of
Microsoft, by giving it exclusive right to develop O/S for it.
Microsoft Created a great porting of CP/M in the name of MS-DOS.
It also created many good application packages to help spreading of PC.
(Otherwise MAC and Sinclare Spectrum was much better machines at that point
of time)
Microsoft had also created Xenix - first multi-platform UNIX implementation.
Xenix led to development of Minix.
Microsoft forced IBM to develop better hardware specs to support GUI on the
line of MAC (in the line of X-windows)
286 machines were lacking in most department (after all Intel chips were not
supposed to handle GUI, these were just extensions of original 8085). These
led to development of 386/486 & finally P-II(MMX) where it could ultimately
match the performance of MACs.
Better CPU on PC, Availability of Minix had led the way to Linux.
In some way Linux was the similar happening of IBM's strategy. If PC was
open hardware, Linux is open software.

But, to think of it without Microsoft there would have been no PC (as we see
it today). No Xenix and possibly no Linux.

Just as centralised hardware concept is almost a thing of the past
corporation like MS is also a good bridge. They will be remembered - as
great milestones.

Linux and Open Software is where the future is - faster we realise is the
better.

So, CONGRATULATION ChenthilWhelan, U have taken the first bold step to the
future.

It is not 1 small news ---  IT IS ONE BIG NEWS !!!