Re: XF86Config

Karthik K H wrote:

>     I am getting back to the resolution problem for X
>
> I always get a default of 640x480.
>
> I tried even Ctrl+Alt+"+" . Nothing happens , even when I login as root.
>
> I tried configuring thru' "xf86config" program for 4 times.
>
> Even though I select the options for 800x600 when setting the preferred order of resolution , it seems of no use.
>
> When I selected for auto probing , the program said the resolution was 1024x768 & then it could not start X windows.
>
> I am attaching my XF86Config file , so any one with a better knowledge about this, please suggest me where I need to make the necessary changes.
>
> I am using RH Linux 6.0 with all default installations. & SiS 6326 AGP card.

Mr. Karthik, I examined the XF86Config file you posted. The reason why
you get only 640x480 is because you have not set you monitor
configuration correctly. Your current XF86Config contains two lines like
this ...

HorizSync  31.5

and

VertRefresh 50-70

The above two lines are correct for a plain VGA monitor. SVGA monitors
available today support much more than the above given values. Edit your
XF86Config file, and change the above values to something like ...

HorizSync 30-50

and

VertRefresh 50-90

( WARNING!! These values work for almost all SVGA monitors. But to be
sure, I would recommend you to scan your monitor manuals for Horizontal
Sync frequency (given in KHz) and Vertical Refresh (given in Hz) before
you edit XF86Config.)

Next time you configure X-windows, choose `Custom' followed by
`Non-Interlaced SVGA 1024x768@60Hz, 800x600@72Hz' as your monitor, so
that  you won't have to manually enter values for HorizSync and
VertRefresh.

- --
Manoj Victor Mathew