help in installing lan

I am a final year student of computer engg. and having subjects
computer n/ws and operating systems concepts.
I want to have  projects in both subjects based on linux.
My institute can provide me linux and other project related resources
but i do not have any material on linux.
Can anyone suggest me some good books based on installation of linux and
having vary good explanations from os point of view.
I can install linux with redhat but frankly speaking i don't know how
redhat manages all that.I want some good books which can tell me every
precise information like how it will create users, what it will do if i
want to create users, what it will do when i am trying to install any
software/hardware,how it manages resources among users etc.
Any list member who is student or computer engg. can easily understand
what are the requirements of a good project and of cources project
report
for any project in any subject.
Thanks in advanced.
Kunal