Re: newbie questions

"Dr. Aravind Venkataraman" <aravindv@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1) I have a Aztech Pnp 2320 sound card. running sndconfig hangs the linux
> box. disabling the pnp creates ROM comflicts in the bios. what do i do.

Don't know much about this. A power search on www.deja.com on your
sound card name might help.

> 2) linux is on a pII233 64mb, 2gb,6gb box. have a compex network card. this
> box is connectd to a p100 machine which is to act as a client. now. win peer
> to peer was ok till i installed linux. after that network vanished. what do
> i do
> 3) back to networking. maybe silly, but still... the pII box being
> fileserver, mailserver, webserver and th p100 client with maybe another
> cyrix client. now what ip address and DNS do i give to my server . i have
> read the manuals. all seems ok but still getting confused.

You need to edit the network configuration (use std RH tools) and come
up with the following setup

Linux server: 10.0.1.1
netmask: 255.255.255.0

Clients: 10.0.1.2, 10.0.1.3
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 10.0.1.1

10.x.x.x are reserved private IP addresses that you can safely use on
your private network.

Make sure that dmesg | grep eth0 shows you that your network card is
being detected properly.

> me poor dentist can pull out teeth but setting networks up....:-(
> Keep Smiling

:-E

	-Arun