Re: Interesting Problem: VT420

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, GURJEET SINGH wrote:

> if you telnet to the UNIX host from the WIN95 M/C  & run the standard
> 'lprint' command on the host you should be able to get the printout on
> your local printer.
>
> One of my colleagues tells me that it is possible if the telnet client has
> support for VT420 terminal emulation.
>
> Q1	:Is this possible?

Never tried it, but I think it can be done.

> Q2	:What is special about the VT420 terminal ?

I don't think there is anything special about VT420 terminal. This is the
beauty of *nices. What you can do with an xterm, you can also do with
vt100.

> Q3	:Is any other possible solution?

What comes to my mind is Samba. In linux (and I hope in your Unix system
also) it should work this way.
	Make the printer shared.
	Configure the printer on *nix machine as SMB Printer.
	telnet to the machine and fire a printout.
I have not tried it, but I don't see any flaw as such in this arrangement.

Hope it helps.

Manas