Re: Kernel HOWTO

- - The Linux kernel by David Rusling
- - /usr/src/linux/Documentation

are good sources of info the kernel. However, most OS courses don't
deal with any implementation details. After finishing 2 undergrad
level OS courses, I still believed that the kernel executed in an
address space of its own.

So if you want to get your hands dirty, I'd recommend the following
books:

(a) UNIX internals by Uresh Vahalia
(b) Design and implementation of the 4.4 BSD operating system by Kirk
    McKusick et al.

The first book deals with Solaris, Digital UNIX, 4.3 BSD, Mach and
compares their implementation.

The second book goes into a lot of detail, but is a little
expensive. $60-$70 here in the US. But it's a great book and apart
from learning the theory, you can refer to source that hasn't diverged
much from what is described in the book viz. FreeBSD 4.0-current.

	-Arun