Which Rdbms I use?

Hello everybody,

My one friend has 25 nodes with a Novell Server in his
company. He has a computerized system in Clipper. At
present he has 4GB around data each year. So in processing
dbf files took so much time. Now he wants to shift
the platforms. But his budget his limited. If he go for
WIN NT/Oracle for 25 users his buget goes beyond his limit.
Software development charge is additional.

So I think that if he goes to Linux,(Linux is multiuser
and free also). So he can save the money of OS.

Is sybase is free with Linux? How can he get that?
Is Linux can handle 25 users connectivity?

If he use Linux/Sybase he will be in his budget.

I am somewhat confused because I am not familiar with Linux.
My friend want a system with good performance within his
budget.

Any other options are available?
Can you give me guidance?

Thanks,