Re: Any dynamic NAT for Linux ?

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, P G Mohanan wrote:

> Hello,
> Our network is growing from 150 to about 500 soon.
> Since we have only a single class C address, we will have to go
> for address translation or proxying.
> Is there any Linux based solution for  ( Special Linux versions
> etc) for  dynmic NAT ?  - something for dynamically mapping  a
> set of private class C addresses to  a single legal class C
> address on a priority basis.  We wish to reserve a set of
> addresses for our DMZ and the rest for dynamic NAT.
> What would be your suggestions ?  Where could I get more info ?

Hi pgm - what's happening at KREC! sounds like major expansion plans! Good
stuff!

In general, it is not a good idea to have so many nodes in a
single-segment network.

Instead, I'd suggest that you start using subnets (192.168.1.x,
192.168.2.x, etc). You'll need a router (or a Linux box with multiple
NICS) to bridge the subnets. This router/Linuxbox would be the default
gateway for each node in a subnet.

There are several advantages to this approach, not the least being that
subnets are isolated from each other (security) and a mishap in one (say a
broadcast storm) will not affect the rest of the network.

Atul