RE: Any dynamic NAT for Linux ?

I can suggest that you go for DHCP on the various internal networks and use
RFC1597 for the internal IP's. (i.e., 172.16.XX.YY - if you have more than
254 hosts ... 192.168.1.AA for < 254 --- I am not very sure.. but its
something like that...)

Another approach is to split up the 500 nodes into smaller netoworks with
less than 254 hosts... This would be better from a sysad point as well.

In linux you can go with IPMASQ, IPCHAINS (now part of the kernel itself..)
and you get a good firewall setup as well..... Well not as great as SOCKS or
TIS but nevertheless....

You can achieve the stated objective of internal networking  + providing
access to the Inet and a decent firewall as well.

Hope that helps.

- - ramas