RE: contents of /etc/hosts gets deleted automatically

Sounds to me like you are using my /etc/ppp/ip-[up|down].local scripts from
the PCQ issue, but goofed while typing them in or forgot to make both of
them executable.

These scripts append/remove information from /etc/hosts based on the
connection state to satisfy sendmail's demand for a valid hostname
associated with your dialup IP address (which many times is wishful thinking
because VSNL doesn't always assign names and register its IP addresses).

So check the scripts, or remove them (only the *.local files).

Atul