Re: JAVA multithread questions.

You create threads by making classes that implement runnable or extend
thread.  Calling .start() on those classes will make the code in the run()
method of those classes execute in a new thread.  So, that code should be
your network connecting code.

Good place to start is java.sun.com, follow the link to the Java Tutorial,
there is a section on threading that walks you through the basics.

Good luck!