Re: RE: Warning !! Qmail Server Users

Hi, Atul Chitnis,

At 7/7/99 11:38:00 AM you wrote:
>> 	If you have addressed a mail for more than one users on
>> same domain, qmail will send that
>> many messages which is different from sendmail where only one
>> copy is sent to that domain.
>> 20kb mail addressed to 100 users on same domain will transmit 20
>> * 100 = 2000kb.
>
>I don't know about qmail, but in sendmail, this item is just standard
>configuration, and sendmail can easily be configured to do exactly the same
>thing.
>
>In fact, if you are using fetchmail's multi-drop facility, this feature (one
>mail per addressee instead of single mail to domain) is not just a desired
>one - you just cannot operate without it if you are dealing with mailing
>lists, BCCs, etc.!
>
>Given today's disk and memory sizes, 2 MB is nothing - but a single 100 byte
>mail that isn't delivered correctly because of lack of header information is
>unforgivable!
>
>Atul

>thoroughly ignored and derisively sniggered at in private.

	It is nothing to do with disk space but the bandwidth that is utilized. I have a setup
of 650 mail users spread accross 80 location connected via VSATS. Mail addressed to
all users ( something like circulars),  the server transmits 650 mails where as it could
have done with just sending 80 mails. In countries like india the communication costs
make lot of difference.
	Fetchmail mail is not recomended for using with Qmail. My ISP is also running
Qmail and I have lot of problems in fetching and delivering it to my local users.If a Mail
addressed to 10 users, each users gets 10 mails.

Regards,
Mohamed Yasin
yasinag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx