/tmp?? [was ('.' in path, summary)]

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, BGanesh wrote:

> Hi,
> questions (fm a newbie perspective) : what is the /tmp directory used
> for anyway? Who's got access to it ? drwxwxrwx ? Would eliminating the
> presence of any executable in the /tmp resolve this once and for all?

/tmp is (as the name suggests) for writing temporary files.
An example:
If you have a process say A which is supposed to write to a file just to
be read by a process B at its leisure, it will write it in /tmp. Note->
The file is not to be saved for later use.

No system file or any file that is important for the system is put here as
all the users have read and write permissions to this directory. One of my
freind installed emacs in /tmp as the sys admin was too lazy to install
emacs ;-).

Here I would like to ask something. I have seen some files of 0 size and
ending with '=' i.e. sockets in /tmp. I want to know what they are doing
in /tmp. Shouldn't they be in /proc?

Regards
Manas