End of Samba ???

Hello All,

        I came across this interesting post in one of the slashdot
articles.

"Samba is (presumably) so named because it permits Linux to communicate
 using SMB (Server Message Blocks). SMB (as I understand it) is the
 upper-level protocol used by NetBIOS. NetBIOS is supposed to go away in
 Windows 2000 (aka NT 5). From that point forward, there will be no need
for
 SMB and thus Samba."
                                                - Anonymous Coward

        I a assume that SMB will be replaced by a proprietor MS
protocol. So...

 - Wouldn't this mean that we will be forced to use NT itself as back
ends for serving win32 clients ?

 - Existing installations of win98/95 + Samba wont have an upgrade path,
ie, they will not be able to         upgrade to Win2000 on the client
side.

        Any thoughts, my fellow gurus !!!

- -- Shanu