problem in compiling kernel

Hi!

This is my first posting to this mailing list and hope to have my problem
solved. Here is my problem.
I am running RH5.2 with 2.2 kernel which I had to compile many times earlier
in order to make my YAMAHA OPL3 sound card to work and I didn't had any
problem in compiling the kernel (with frame buffer option disabled). But
this time I am not able to do so because of some peculiar problem. I want to
enable frame buffer support in my kernel so that I can get linux logo during
startup. But if I enable this option during "make menuconfig " and then run
"make dep" I am getting lot of errors corresponding to frame buffer header
and source files like undefined symbols and missing header files and "make
bzImage" will stop with error 2. So I reinstalled both kernel source and
headers from March PCQ. After installing I rechecked these with rpm -V
option and every thing was all right. But again I have same problem in
compiling kernel with fb support. It is stopping with same error. If I
recheck header files with rpm -V option it is reporting missing header
files, time stamp error, check sum error. I could not figure out what could
be wrong. Has any one else faced this problem? How do I fix this?
When I was selecting options in "make menuconfig " I clicked on help button
associated with frame buffer option there it says that "if you are compiling
for 0x86 then you can say no here unless you want to play with this". Does
this mean that I don't need to enable fb support for 0x86 platform? If it is
not required then how do I make linux logo to appear during startup? Can any
body help me?

Nagesh S K
Mysore