Re: sendmail problems.....

According to Manoj:

> Hello,
>
> I use fetchmail to pull our mails into our linux server( qpopper3.0b). =
> the problem is the mails are not channeled to the respective user acct =
> by sendmail when the mails are from some mailing lists ( all of it gets =
> sent to POST MASTER which is root ) ! But when a mail is sent with =
> explicit addressing [ user@xxxxxxxxxxxx ] to one of the users from =
> anywhere , we get it . i would like to know what changes i should make =
> in sendmail configuration .=20
>
> Please help.
> Regards Manoj

Hello,
You will have to modify the .fetchmailrc, for the envelope information
usually fetchmail assumes the envelope info as X-envelope-To , this
envelope info is stripped and the mail is delivered to the right person
but when it carries a mailing list address the X-envelope header carries
info of the mailing list address and the mail goes to root/postmaster
instead of to the right user whose userid is usually in the second
envelope
In your case where you are using fetchmail in mullti drop mode ,
the isp usually adds one more envelope with the right username and
a string prefix , is is this envelope that is to be used and use the
string qvirtual to strip that part of the envelope inof and get the
actual user id .
So please go through the headers of the mail that you have recd
and modigy .fetchmailrc with the envelope info
in my .fetchmailrc I have added
envelope 1 "Delivered-To:"
qvirtual teraltd+teraltd.com-X-

so when fetchmail pulls mail , it looks for the second Delivered to envelope
and strips the string teraltd+teraltd.com-X- and this gives the right user
name in case of mailing lists
Please read man fetchmail for full details
Hope this helps
nps

- --
   N P Salaria      |  nps@xxxxxxxxxxx