Re: download speeds via linux

Anshul Gupta wrote:

> .. is it something to do with my MTU settings ( it is set
> > at 1500 ) or something else. Please help
> >
> pass "mtu 576" to pppd thru /etc/ppp/options
> also set the transmission rate at 115200bps
>
> gurus may tell some more methods for speed up
> -anshul

MTU is minimum transmission unit. Every tcp packet has its pay load also
which is about 64 bytes ( not sure). So the smaller the mtu higher will
be payload, but less byte will be required to send in case of error. And
higher the mtu then lower the pay load but if the packet has an error
then entire packet will have to be retransmitted.

So fine tuning of mtu according to line condition will result best in
highest speed. The mtu of 576 bytes for very noisy line and 1500 for
clean line is recommended.

There are many other parameters of tcp which enhances performance. Linux
gives complete control over tcp transmission. Please read documentation
in /usr/doc.

- --
Best Wishes.
- -mukund