Re: Help with Linux.

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 12:33:02PM +0530, Subbiah Muthukalayappan wrote:
- -> open vi, temporary files are not being opened. Now that I have managed
- -> to get another hard disk of 125 MB capacity, how do I get out of this
- -> problem. I am not very sure of how to mount disks, make file systems and
- -> stuff or add swap spaces. I need help with this. I also need to install
- -> this lilo. This I couldnt do during install. How do I put LILO
- -> bootloader now?

	assuming you are connecting the new harddisk as secondary master [a
new cable that goes to another slot in the motherboard] do the
following:

use "fdisk /dev/hdc" and make it a single partition [/dev/hdc1]
"mkfs -t ext2 /dev/hdc1" will create the file system for linux.
"mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /home" will make  the new hard disk act as the
/home partition. [copy any existing files to another place before
mounting and then copy them back here].
add the following entry to your /etc/fstab
/dev/hdc1               /home                   ext2    defaults 1 1

	this will mount the file system in the new hard disk as /home
everytime you boot up.
	You are not able to open temporary files because there is no room
left in the old hard disk. to overcome this do the following.
"rm -rf /tmp"  remove the existing /tmp
"mkdir /home/tmp"  create tmp in the new harddisk
"chmod 777 /home/tmp"
"chmod +t /home/tmp"  the default settings of /tmp
"ln -s /home/tmp /tmp"  make /home/tmp act as /tmp
	now you can work freely
- --
With Regards,

S Ravi Shankar