Re: kppp starting problem

>Hi everybody,
>
>Since during upgrade there was a reading error on CHIP CD-ROM and my
>installation abruptly ended resulting in corrupt system files.
>
>Now I have installed Red Hat 6.0 from the CD after creating a fresh
partition.

>When I try to start KPPP (through any other account than root) to dial to
>internet I get the following error :
>
>error :
>pppd is not properly installed. The pppd binary must be installed with the
SUID
>bit set. Contact your System Administrator.
>
>What could be the problem ? How to rectify it ?
>
>Thanks in advance.

pppd needs to mess around with files in /etc/ppp directory and also do other
"root"y things. Generally pppd is not setuid root, which means that that
even though pppd is owned by root, it can't work as a priviledged process.
To rectify this, you can do

#chmod 4755 /sbin/pppd

or always run kppp as root but su'ing to root and executing kppp.

Akshat