How to go to CLI mode in GUI (was -RE: sound problem)

Those were the commands at the CLI (command line interface for the gorks)=
=2E You
have to open a terminal emulator like Xterm/Eterm/Kvt to work on CLI prog=
rams.
Or there might be some option similar to the 'Run..' option in Win9x. And=
 be
warned, if you do not know how to work in a CLI environment then you are =
out
of luck.
As for sound support - look for soundcore.o and sb.o files in
/lib/modules/preffered/misc directory. If present then follow the Sound-H=
OWTO
to get them in the kernel and setup IRQ and IO parameters. AND if already=

present in the kernel then use sndconfig to set it up.

- -swaps

munir keshwani <munirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well what are the commands and how do  I try it =

> Whenever  I boot linux it goes directly to the gui =

> And I get login and password in windows and it directly enters gnome
> Where do I type it command and how
> =

> On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 11:42:15PM +0530, munir keshwani wrote:
> -> Hey how do I recompile the kernel and include sound support in it
> =

> 	go to the directory /usr/src/linux and run the commands in the
> following order
> make mrproper
> make menuconfig [heres where you will choose the necessary modules and
> part of the kernel. choose sound support here]
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> =

> 	copy the new kernel [bzImage] to /boot and edit your lilo.conf to
> include the new kernel [save your old one too in case the new does not
> boot]
> check the readme file in /usr/src/linux and also the Kernel-HOWTO at
> /usr/doc
> =

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape WebMail account today at http://webm=
ail.netscape.com.