RE: Two ethernet cards

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, M.Venkataramana wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I guess my mail looks confusing to everybody, Actaully what i mean by
> saying ping eth0 is ping the IP address of eth0 ie 196.12.46.180 for eth0
> and 196.12.46.179 for eth1

WOW you want to add two device on to the same network, why ?? OK here is
why it doen't work.

You add a route to the routing table with device say eth0. Now it is
working, now U want to add one more device(eth1) with the same destination
(as the netid is same). So this new destination gets added and the old
destination (and the device  eth0) will get deleated from the table. So at
any time you have one device working(This is under assumtion that both
route add have same metric, if not always route and device with lesser
metric remain). HTH.

If you want two device add it on to diffrent network .

- -Chetan S