Re: [NT vs Linux] NT loses

Hi,

I don't know what to say about this "hype". Please visit
http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/printme/0,4235,407644,00.html
inorder to get a level-headed picture.

> It's a lot of marketing hype.
> Period.
> Check out http://www.linux-vs-nt.org/ and you'll know what the truth.

Please verify the URLs that u give for reference are existent.

> NT doesn't even have TCP/IP implemeted properly.
> Forget about other things.
> The NT server ships without a telnet daemon/client. If you don't get
> even basic stuff and get to be 400% better it's a lot of very hot air.
>
> Can a physically challenged [NT] individual win the 100 m at the
> Olympic. Microsoft would have you believe that it can.
>
> The rest is .... what you think / believe.

I am also including the material here. Please excuse me for the
bandwidth being wasted.

Only level heads will get Linux in business
By Pankaj Chowdhry
Jun 28 1999 12:04:06:000AM

When I first moved to California from Louisiana, my friends didn't think
I would make it. "You can take the boy out of the bayou, but you can't
take the bayou out of the boy," they'd say. They must have forgotten
that I'm from India, which 20 years ago made
Louisiana look like a high-tech heaven.

Since leaving the gator-infested swamps of Louisiana for the
shark-infested streets of Silicon Valley, I've changed. The way I walk,
talk, dress and think have all been influenced by my new environment,
but the transition wasn't easy. During my first years in California, I
saw more than a few people fight off laughter listening to me describe
their routing table problems in my New Delhi-Louisiana patois.

Today, I see similar bewilderment on the faces of traditional IT experts
as they listen to young code warriors expounding on the enterprise
merits of open-source operating systems. The open-source folks
understand what they are saying, but others struggle
with the dialect.

I made the connection between their language barrier and mine this month
while PC Week Labs was hosting an open benchmark pitting Linux against
Windows NT. Technical issues aside, the testing was some of the most
difficult we've ever performed. The personalities present were more
powerful than any quad Xeon server, and I feared we'd have our hands
full trying to keep the contestants from biting each other.

True to my expectations, the Linux group included one vitriolic Young
Turk from Penguin Computing who delighted in chiding any code to which
the world does not have access. Surprisingly, though, he was in the
minority.

Imagine my shock when Doug Ledford and Zach Brown from Red Hat spoke
kind words about Microsoft and its wares. They are in no way fans of NT,
but they are very familiar with its inner workings.

A few nuts mixed in

A few hours with them changed my view of the Linux community. Sure,
there are firebrands, but most of the experts are highly intelligent and
quite sound of mind. Unfortunately, perceptions of the Linux community
are shaped by Web sites such as
www.slashdot.org, where self-styled experts who have the collective IQ
of an AOL CD post inflammatory propaganda.

During our initial meeting, some Linux advocates were railing about
"benchmarketing," but the more intelligent ones were using the
opportunity to improve their operating system. In fact, the Red Hat guys
spent an extra day at our labs stress-testing some of the new code
developed during the benchmarking.

My experience showed me that the Linux community faces a tough road to
the promised land of the enterprise. It must perform a makeover not
unlike my transformation from bayou bumpkin to Silicon savant. Not only
does Linux need better architecture and management, but the Linux image
also needs a lot of polish. First and foremost, the stupid people need
to shut up and let the more intelligent folks speak.

A fanatical following got the Mac OS nowhere fast; to call it a niche OS
now is to pay it a compliment. The button-down corporate community has
no appetite for the fanatical rantings of a fringe community, and
companies trying to make money off Linux should
have no time for them either.

How would you make over Linux?
Contact me at pankaj_chowdhry@xxxxxxx

And b4 u start flaming me, please try and understand that I am no fan of
Winduhs either.

Bye 4 now,
Sudhir.P
- --
When you hit rock bottom, there is no way, but, up.

Sudhir.P                           TEL  : (Off): +91-44-37419(39,40,41)
Ext.2332
HCL Technologies India Pvt. Ltd           (Res): +91-44-6370143
Cisco SDC and Labs                 FAX  : (Off): +91-44-3741038
49-50 Nelson Manickam Road         Email:  sparasur@xxxxxxxxx
Chennai - 600029, India            Yahoo-pager: sudhir_lp