[NT vs Linux] NT loses

It's a lot of marketing hype.
Period.
Check out http://www.linux-vs-nt.org/ and you'll know what the truth.

NT doesn't even have TCP/IP implemeted properly.
Forget about other things.
The NT server ships without a telnet daemon/client. If you don't get
even basic stuff and get to be 400% better it's a lot of very hot air.

Can a physically challenged [NT] individual win the 100 m at the
Olympic. Microsoft would have you believe that it can.

The rest is .... what you think / believe.

Ghins Mathai wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> A friend sent me this article. Do not know how much of it is true.
> Please go through it.
>
> PC Week Labs' tests show what path Linux must take
> By Henry Baltazar and Pankaj Chowdhry, PC Week Labs
> June 25, 1999 3:45 PM ET
>
> In a first-of-its-kind open benchmark comparing the performance of Linux
> and Windows NT, PC Week Labs not only found that NT remains
> substantially
> faster but also isolated Linux's shortcomings and gained insight into
> where
> future development of the open-source operating system should be headed.
>
> These tests follow the controversial NT/Linux comparison conducted by
> independent benchmarking operation Mindcraft Inc. and sponsored by
> Microsoft Corp. The Linux community had cried foul after this April
> match,
> which found NT to be 400 percent faster than Linux. All the principals
> agreed to let PC Week Labs arbitrate a rematch.
>
> After a tortuous five days of tests, audited by the best and the
> brightest
> from Mindcraft, Microsoft and Red Hat Software Inc., and despite
> significant tuning improvements made on the Linux side, Windows NT 4.0
> still beat Linux using the Apache Web server and Samba in every
> performance
> category, although the margin of victory was smaller than in Mindcraft's
> tests.
>
> But far more interesting is that, in all the areas in which the Linux
> community cried foul, its assumptions were wrong. Where kernel problems
> were found, fixes are already under way.
>
> For instance, the open-source community objected to Mindcraft's use of
> the
> Apache Web server in its benchmarks, claiming that using the fastest
> open-source Web server, Zeus, would improve results. We tested Zeus on
> Linux and found its performance peaked almost exactly where Apache's
> did.
>
> Working with Red Hat programmer Zach Brown, we traced the problem back
> the lack of a multithreaded IP stack in the Linux networking subsystem,
> which caused a performance plateau in the operating system, not in the
> Web
> server.
>
> The problem is being fixed in the next version of the Linux kernel, and
> beta is available in the 2.3-kernel series. However, the upcoming
> improvements don't stop there. The next version of Apache will have a
> new
> static page engine, similar to the fast path in NT's IIS (Internet
> Information Server).
>
> Zeroing in on the Web server
>
> In the open benchmark using Ziff-Davis Benchmark Operation's WebBench
> 2.0,
> which Mindcraft used as well, the IIS 4.0 Web server pumped out an
> impressive 4,166 requests per second, compared with 1,842 requests per
> [...]

- --
| Success is not knowing the things to do. |
| It is knowing the things not to do.      |