Two ethernet cards

Hi Linux Gurus,

Excuse me if this has already been discussed earlier.

I am running linux 5.2 on IBM PC 300 GL  with 32 MB RAM. I have two
ethernet cards ( Intel ether Express pro 10/100 PCI). The system is able to
detect both the cards, but they are not working simultaneosly. Like at any
point of time I am able to ping only one card.
Like say two cards are eth0 and eth1, After starting the system,
	when i ping eth0, I am getting "Reply from...."  response.
	But when I say ping eth1 , there is NO response ,
Now,
	when i bring down eth0 by ifdown eth0, and then ping eth1 its pinging ,
	but eth0 is not giving any response.

     Please help me out !!!!!!!!!!

      Regards

      Venkat