Re: How do I access newsgroups

Ghins Mathai <ghins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Out here we have a LAN and are connected to the Internet thru a
> Linux server that acts as the gateway m/c. Some of the people have
> internet access thru the Linux m/c (apache as proxy server).
>
> What I want to do is allow people to subscribe to newsgroups and
> also let them post to the same. If anybody can help me out please do
> so

There are a bunch of public access Usenet sites:

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Internet/Usenet/Public_Access_Usenet_Sites/

You can point your newsreader to those sites (typically set your
NNTPSERVER shell variable) and read news.

However, if you want to setup a news server locally, you need some ISP
to send you a newsfeed. It's a co-operative system.

More info:

http://www.landfield.com/faqs/usenet/site-setup/

	-Arun