Red Hat Linux 6.0 installation problems

Hi friends,

Apologies for this long mail.

Today I upgraded from Red Hat Linux 5.2  to Red Hat Linux 6.0 using the CHIP
CD. During the first run of the install after completing around 60% of part
installation abnormally aborted giving on screen some memory dump.

It gave the following messages on the screen :

eax:c29b1e2c ebx:00000 this continues on this line.............
esi:............ some hexadecimal numbers
process install2 pid 7 process nr :7, stackpage=c2fdb000)

Stack.....
Call Trace :

Code : hexadecimal numbers

install exited abnormally - received signal 11
sending terminating signals... done
sending kill signals ... done
unmounting file systems...
	/tmp/rhimage
	/mnt/proc
	/mnt/umount failed
	/proc
you may safely reboot now.

I rebooted the pc, and again continued the installation. This time it installed
the remaining packages. Since in Red Hat 5.2 LILO was installed in MBR I
continued to do so when asked during this install.

After the completion of installtion when the PC was rebooted the following came
on the screen :

*******************************
Uncompressing Linux...

crc error
- --system halted
*******************************

After this I tried to boot using the boot floopy created during install but I
got the same error message. Now I tried with the boot floppy of Red Hat 5.2 and
the system is up now.

As per my reading Red Hat Linux 6.0 directly starts in GUI mode
but mine started with the command prompt. My command prompt was as follows :

Red Hat Linux 6.0 Publisher's edition
Kernel 2.0.36 on an i586

The Kernel remains the same which was there when I was running Red Hat Linux 5.2.
When I try to mount the CD ROM drive it says

fs type ISO9660 not supported by Kernel.

In KDE, when I run KPPP it gives me error saying that kernal has no PPP support.
However with the same kernel all the above things were working fine for me.

Why  linux is not booting directly through my linux partition. What could be
the problem. I don't want to install using floppy evertime. What should I do ?
Anybody has solutions ?

Thanking in advance

   --
Rajesh