Re: LINUX AND TV SET

Aravind Balasubramanian wrote:
> I even got vga16 server up and running on my Debian slink system
> without any difficulty. But the TV out is not that good as the letters
> were not sharp enough. So I didnt try getting svga server running
> because it wouldnt be worth the effort.

I assume VGA16 would be 640x480x16.

original poster wrote :
> >I am planning to use linux at my home
> >the problem is that i want to utilize the
> >resources to the fullest thus i want to
> >use my TV set as a monitor.
> >
> >has anyone ever used  TV set as a monitor, if yes
> >how good is the resolution. and how easy to configure it.

The VGA card works at a resolution of 640x480, and your TV has a
physical resolution of 768x576. In which case the picture is stretched
(that is why the text is unclear). Alt if your VGA resolution is higher
it is sqeezed to fit the TV resolution. Though both the appilances have
the same aspect ratio of 4:3 the TV is interlaced, while the monitor is
non-interlaced (that is why the picture looks sharper on the monitor).

The Composite signal that your TV uses to get the VGA data is a poor
carrier and colors tend to 'bleed' on TV. (Of course this wouldn't
happen if yu used a TV that could take in a RGB component signal, in
which case yu'd be better off buying one of those ultra expensive 21"
multires multisync monitors)

The VGA card would run with a refresh rate between 60Hz to 120Hz(?). TV
(the PAL version) runs at 50Hz only. Lower refresh rate=lower quality.
ideally this should be abt 75Hz. And finally the TV is a high intensity
high radiation display. Even if the quality does not bother you this
alone should put you off from using your TV, typically yu sit at a
distance of 2-3 feet fm the monitor, and if yu sat that close to your
TV... unless yu want to whip out your Rayban :)

TV has interlaced display, Monitors have NI display.
TV color's 'bleed'
TV has slower refresh rate.
TV has a high intensity output - If yu sat 2 feet fm the TV for 8hrs a
day for a month...

So using a TV for display is bad news all the way.

BGa

ps: ever wonder why the VCD lokos so much better on your P-II while it
sucks on the VCD player connected to TV? :)

pps: And lets kill this thread, this has nothing to do with Linux before
we get flamed (yr original post did, tho). If yu need more info mail me
direct.