Re: Booting problem

>I have formatted my windows partiton and installed win98 on it.
>But now it is not prompting lilo:
>so now i can not access my linux partition though it is still there.
>What is the problem is my mbr changed?
>Kunal

Hello,
The first time I used Linux was 6 months and 4 days ago. The first problem
I had was with lilo. That was in Surat and I had no email access there.

Lilo is a boot manager that gives you an option of booting into any of the
operating systems loaded on your system. Win98 doesn't have any such boot
manager, and erases Lilo from your MBR.

Your Red Hat/PCQ Linux CD had a directory called 'Dosutils' this contains
the file loadlin.exe and the vmlinuz kernel in the 'autoboot'
sub-directory. Copy both files to (say) the c:\linux\ directory in your
win98 partition and add the following lines to the beginning of your
autoexec.bat file
               @echo off
               cls
               echo.
               echo.
               echo.
               echo.
               choice /t:n,5 "Do you wish to boot Linux? "
               if errorlevel 2 goto End
               c:\linux\loadlin c:\linux\vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 ro
               :End

This is assuming that you have both the aforementioned files in the
c:\linux directory, and that your linux partition is /dev/hda5. To make
sure, boot through your Redhat CD, and start diskdruid. You will see the
details there. Don't make any changes! Reboot into Win98.
   If you edited the autoexec.bat file correctly, you get a prompt at
startup asking you if you want to boot into linux. Press 'y' within 5
seconds.

Once in linux, login and run the following command

lilo -v

Hope it works!

- -Rajesh J Advani
r.j.advani@xxxxxxxx