Re: UNIX & Windows...????

> The problem is that for most of the hardware it is the hardware
> manufacturers that are making specific drivers. They do not want to do
> that for linux os. Also for a linux developer they are not ready to

 But there are some h/w manufacturers who supply Linux drivers on their
own. National Instruments for instance gives Linux drivers for their GPIB
cards (and others) if asked! As of now, the market dictates that Win 95
drivers be made available. So vendors supply it or else no one would buy
their h/w. Poeple who buy computers for the sake of such h/w (like I need
a GPIB based data acquisition from my setup and the PC would be dedicated)
then everyone (the vendor included) suggests Win95! So where is the catch?
This is a vicious circle. As others have pointed out, it was Win 95 and
not Linux that addressed the needs of the office secretary. So there was
more demand for Win and the suppliers suggest win. Unfortunately, even in
scientific organziations, (with a few exceptions) it is windows which
rules the day! We always adapt to the existing s/w. If all I had was
Wordstar, I would find out ways to write scientific documents in it till
something else came along. And something else would better be better so
that I can shift from what I got used to.
That holds for OS too right?
Ashok