RE: UNIX & Windows...????

It may sound crazy to someone who comes from a Windows background, but *X* is not Linux! Linux is fully functional without a GUI, so let's first of all
> put that baby to sleep - don't blame Linux for the inability of X to use your Windows-specific machine components.

Let us see how many people whould like to work on Linux with out the Windowing environment. May be developers like us would , but what about the lay man.
With out a proper GUI , Linux doesn't have a chance of competing with others in terms of market share.

> Does that make Windows good?
     i DID NOT HEAR MYSELF SAYING THAT ??

 I think a reality check is seriously required here - how many Windows users can install Windows? Let me give you the answer - virtually none. Give a
> Windows CD to a computing newbie and ask him to install it, don't expect him
> to be successful. People like that depend on their dealers or IS staff.
     SO YOU THINK THAT SAME COMPUTING NEWBIE OF YOURS WOULD BE ABLE TO INSTALL LINUX WITH THE X-WINDOW SYSTEM  ALSO , COME ON NOW YOU ARE TAKING IT A BIT FAR

I just *love* that attitude. Instead of saying "I have a problem installing  X for an xyz display card", you coredump completely and pronounce the whole
> thing as a circus.
   I THINK AN OS IS SUPPOSED TO HANDLE THE CONFIGURATION OF SOMETHING AS ESSENTIAL AS A DISPLAY CARD
> Have you ever tried to install SCO, AT&T, Solaris, AIX, etc? Tell me, on the
> basis of *which* other OS install are you basic this statement?
>
> Have you ever tried to install *Windows* on a machine that has a funky BIOS,
> a bad display card, etc? You can't even *install* Windows if your graphics
> card doesn't work as advertised or is unsupported! Linux, on the other hand,
> will happily install *and* run without graphics, allowing you to get up and
> running.
   HOW MANY PEOPLE ( NOT DEVELOPERS ) WOULD YOU THINK WILL PICK UP A LINUX CD OR ANY UNIX ??

> Pronouncing Linux "bad" because *you* couldn't install it (while millions of  users worldwide have had few, if any, problems doing so) is a sweeping
> statement that one wouldn't expect off someone who claims to be familiar > with the Unix world.
> Having said all that, could you tell us just what problem you have installing X (not Linux)? What machine were you installing on? What were the
> specs, what display card does it have? What distribution of Linux were you
> using?
      AGAIN , I DID NOT HEAR MYSELF SAYING LINUX IS BAD.

> Maybe we can help you. But we won't if you stand there pronouncing judgement on something we all use and love - all on the basis of an isolated, personal
experience.
   HAVE YOU CHECKED THE NEWS GROUPS ON LINUX , IF NOT BETTER DO IT , THEN YOU WILL SEE THAT THERE IS NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS PEOPLE ARE FACING WHILE INSTALLING LINUX.
    BEING POWERFUL , RUGGED IS  GREAT, BUT IF ORDINARY USERS CANNOT PEACEFULLY INSTALL IT , WELL ....