Re: UNIX & Windows...???? (fwd)

The problem is that people bye latest machines with very latest
controller cards etc and then expect them to work with Linux. If you
really want your machine to work with Linux out of the box then
you should buy a machine that has all the hardware component that
are compatible with Linux.

How many of the people who crib about difficulty in installing
linux on their machines bought their machines for Linux.

I bought an IBM Aptiva couple of years back. I got as usual
windows 95 with that. After installing Windows 95 six times
in a span of 3 months I decided to move to Linux and
it was very clear from the day one that the modem that
comes with Aptiva will not work with Linux just because it is
a software simulation of a modem.

The solution was that I bought an external modem and in last
three year I never needed to install the os again. I still
have windows for playing games, but I do my serious work on
linux.

So if you have an existing machine that has a component that
is not supported by the Linux. You have only two options,
either replace that component or write the driver yourself.

VA
- --
Vinay Avasthi (Staff Engineer)                 ------   ,__o
Vinay_Avasthi-A12733@xxxxxxxxxxxxx            ------  _-\_<,
Motorola India Electronics Ltd.============  ------  (*)/'(*)
The Senate, 33A, Ulsoor Road, Bangalore India, 560042