RE: 486 with a large HDD

> DOS fdisk does not see more than 504 MB of the
> HDD. So I used the Disk Manager that came with teh HDD to create two
> partitions.

Big mistake - Linux does not need any DOS or DM partitioning. And the DM
partitioning confuses the hell out of OSs that do not expect the BIOS to lie
to them.

Set the type to LBA in your BIOS, use DM to destroy the partitions
completely, and partition the disk using Linux fdisk. If you are installing
RedHat 5.x, use DiskDruid instead (much simpler) - just boot off the RedHat
installation boot diskette and follow instructions.

While the ability of Linux to run on a low end 486 is admirable, sheer
logistics make this a bad idea - 486 machines are not maintainable anymore,
you cannot get RAM or spares for them, etc. If you are going to depend on
this machine for *any* kind of stuff and you blow a single RAM module, it
will be the end of the story. Consider upgrading to a second hand Pentium 1
motherboard instead - that's cheap, but more supportable.

Atul