Two ethernet cards

Hello all,
I have recently loaded linux 5.2 from the March issue of PCQuest , they have
done an extremely good job , especially the pcqupdt installs lot of
additional
Utilities.
Somehow I am not able to configure two ethernet interfaces , if any of you
can
Help on the same
Scenario .. We have a network here where wish to configure the linux machine
As a gateway to the internet. We have an ISDN hub which is at present
connected to Windows machine and is dialling and working fine.
I want to to set up the linux machine with two eth devices so that one
connects to the ISDN hub and the other to the local network , then configure
it such that
Only some selected users can use it to either ftp or access the www
services.
I have two eth cards one is Intel ether express pro 10 and the other is a
3COM etherlink link III 3c509TP card.
I have the  following entry in the /etc/conf.modules
 Alias eth0 eepro
Alias eth1 3c509
Options eepro io=0x300 irq=5
Options 3c509 io=0x280 irq=10

When the machine boots it detects only eth0 and gives the message delaying
initializing eth1
After booting if I give the following commands
#insmod 8390
#insmod 3c509

then the system prompts back
eth1: 3c509 at 0x280 .....................

ie the system recognises the card as eth1
then I configure it with
ifconfig eth1 192.168.50.96  broadcast ....... And netmask commands
and ifconfig eth1 up
then if  I say ifconfig it shows all three
lo, eth0 and eth1
but I still cannot ping eth1 and not able to go on the network with the
second card ,
again how can we detect both the cards at boot time ??

where can I enter the insmod command to be detected at boot ??
 even at the lilo prompt , the following command doesn't work
LILO: linux ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=10,0x280,eth1
Machine detects only one card.
I need both the cards to access one ISDN, and other local network

I will be thankful for any  help
Thanks in advance
N P Salaria