Apache: Configuration

Hi all,
  I am facing a peculiar problem in Apache 1.3.6. I am using Apache to run Perl CGI scripts. I have a requirement to spawn a background process when OK button is pressed. But the control should be returned to the browser immediately.
  I have written a simple program to do this by spawning a process in the background. This seems to work fine in the shell i.e. the shell prompt returns immediately, my process executes in the background. But when I try to run the script through Apache, it does not return contol to the browser till the background process exits. I thought maybe it was because of the KeepAlive directive. So I turned it off. But it still does not return control to the browser immediately.

Can Someone please help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

Arvind