Re: Installing RedHat 5.2

Ravi Pratap M wrote:

> Hi Kunal !
>
>         Well, from my experience, I think you'd better wait for some time -- and
> that is lot's of time !
>
>         BTW, did you ask it to check for bad blocks etc. ? If you did well, you'd
> better wait for a really long time , pal !
>
>         If you haven't thenit shouldn't take so long. Anyway, just give it around
> 20 mins or more cuz 950 MB is alot of space !!
>
>         Don't worry, nothing's wrong with the installation procedure. Just be

If there is no activity on led of hd then surely linux has lost its way
out. IMHO ,
1. check disk partition.
2. check if number of cylinders are less than 1024 (not very sure!!!)
3. on other tty check with ps to see which processes are running.
4. run df -a to see status of hard disk.
5. In fact you have host of commands to run during installation.
6. There might be some syslog file too.

As thumb rule it takes about 5 to 6 minutes to prepare a ext2 partition
with bad block checking enable on p200 mmx for 1gb partition, and disk
led is never off.
Best Wishes.
- -mukund
http://members.theglobe.com/betacomp/default.html