Installing RedHat 5.2

First I boot my computer from April 99 pcquest cd to install RedHat 5.2.
Everything goes fine until making ext2 filesystems. I am using 4.3 gb
Seagate hd. Out of this 4.3 gb I use 1 gb for linux partition use 64mb swap
and 950 mb linux native mounted on /dev/hda3. But my computer hangs up
while making ext2 filesystems on /dev/hda3. No hd or cd activity for a long
time. I have waited for 10 to 15 minutes. Then I had to reboot my machine.
Same thing is not happening if I allot only 100 mb for linux native. What
is happening and how can I avoid this?