Re: debian

mukund proclaimed:
> I received my first debian 2.0 CD (cheap bytes Res.) from GT.
> The installation went super smooth except,

Congratulations!  Welcome to the Debian family.

> 2. My debian version is 2.0. Is it ok?

What you have is version "hamm".  The latest stable version is 2.1
(slink).  Talk to the Chennai LUG folks.  They might be able to space a
slink CD set.

> I can not resist from mentioning a few beauties of debian which I found
> in last 2 days.
>
> 1. The base and kernel takes only 22 mb and user is free to load only
> required packages.

For a user who knows exactly what she wants this is fine.  The same thing
works against a newbie who has to go through the description of the
thousands of packages via dselect.

> 2. The deselect is excellent and takes care of all dependencies and
> configuration.

You are certainly in the minority. :-)

> 3. The cd has almost every thing (there are 1525 packages on cd), and
> caters to every one's need.

I certainly agree.  This is one reason why I love Debian.  Almost any
package I want is already packaged by a trusted package maintainer.  No
poking around rpmfind for me.

Thaths
- --
"Marge, this ticket doesn't just give me a seat.  It also give me the
    right -- no, the duty -- to make a complete ass of myself."
                     -- Homer J. Simpson
Sudhakar C13n http://people.netscape.com/thaths/ Lead Indentured Slave